This Virgin Moscow Mule is a refreshing twist on the classic Moscow Mule minus the alcohol.
Bursting with zesty citrus, ginger, and a touch of sweetness, this mocktail is a perfect non-alcoholic beverage for the “alcohol occasion”.
Reducing our overall alcohol intake supports healthy aging.
Read on to learn how to make this twist on a classic favorite!
What is a Moscow Mule?
The Moscow Mule is a classic cocktail originating from the 1940s. It traditionally includes vodka, ginger beer, and lime juice.
The cocktail’s history intertwines with its unique presentation, often served in a copper mug.
Despite its name, it originated in the US and gets its name from the ingredients.
Moscow is derived from Russian vodka, and the mule comes from the “kick” associated with ginger beer.
The Moscow Mule has become a timeless favorite, inspiring different varieties, including this Virgin Moscow Mule.
Benefits of Alcohol Alternatives / Mocktails
- Decreases alcohol consumption.
- Allows for “social drinking” without the effects of alcohol.
- Provides an alternative for designated drivers.
- Supports healthy lifestyle efforts.
- Creates an inclusive social environment.
- Increases quality of life (no hangovers).
You can learn more about alternatives to alcohol in this Age-Defying Dietitian blog post, “Alcohol Alternatives: A Buzz without the Alcohol or the Hangover”.
What is a Virgin Moscow Mule?
A Virgin Moscow Mule is a non-alcoholic version of the classic Moscow Mule.
It retains the iconic flavors of the original cocktail, ginger beer, and lime, but excludes vodka, making it a good option for those looking to abstain from alcohol.
Mocktails and alcohol alternatives offer an option for the sober curious to celebrate without the alcohol or the hangover!
Check out more alcohol alternatives in this Age-Defying Dietitian blog post, “Best Alcohol Substitutes for a Summer Buzz“.
Ingredients in this Virgin Moscow Mule
- Lime juice
- Lemon juice
- Ginger beer (non-alcoholic)
- Mint leaves (optional)
Virgin Moscow Mules in Copper Mugs
While copper mugs are traditional for serving the classic Moscow Mule, they are not required for the mocktail version.
A Moscow Mule is served in a copper mug for reasons ranging from temperature regulation and enhanced flavor to its visual appeal and historical significance.
If you enjoy the aesthetic appeal of the copper mug and the way it keeps the drink cold, you can certainly use one for the mocktail as well. The copper mugs I purchased from Amazon are below.
Virgin Moscow Mule
- 2 copper mugs
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 cups Ginger beer (non-alcoholic)
- 1 cup Ice cubes
- 1 Thinly sliced lemon and/or lime wheel Garnish
- Fresh mint leaves Garnish
- In a glass or small pitcher, combine the freshly squeezed lime and lemon juices. Add the honey and stir well to infuse the flavors.
- Divide the citrus base equally between 2 copper mugs. Fill each mug with ice cubes, allowing them to be about two-thirds full.
- Pour 1 cup of ginger beer into each mug.
- Stir gently to ensure the flavors are well-distributed.
- Garnish with lemon and/or lime wheels. For an extra touch of freshness, add a few fresh mint leaves into each mug.
- Sip to enjoy this Virgin Moscow Mule without the negative effects of alcohol.
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply unwinding after a long day, the Virgin Moscow Mule is a refreshing non-alcoholic beverage.
Hungry for More?
Check out the Age-Defying Dietitian’s blog for the latest content on all things healthy aging!
Sign up for our Nutrition for Healthy Aging Newsletter to get our latest content delivered directly to your inbox!
*Please note this blog post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Kathryn is a Registered Dietitian and a National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach. She is also Certified through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Weight Management. She has 20+ years of nutrition experience working in a variety of healthcare settings. Her passion is to provide evidence-based nutrition information that supports vitality and longevity!