Blueberry toast is a delicious and easy-to-make breakfast option that combines the sweetness of blueberries with the crunch of toast.
This tasty twist on traditional toast is full of nutrients that support longevity.
Whether you’re looking for a quick breakfast or a healthy snack, this blueberry toast recipe is for you!
- 1 toaster
- 1 microwave
- 2 slices whole-grain bread 2 slices toast per serving
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Toast the bread.
- While the bread is toasting, microwave your blueberries for ~1 minute.
- Spread the yogurt on the toast.
- Top toast with blueberries.
- Sprinkle chia seeds on top of the blueberries.
Blueberry Toast Ingredients
This recipe combines the natural sweetness of blueberries with the creamy texture of Greek yogurt on top of toast.
It can also be topped with chia seeds for added crunch and texture!
Whole Grain Bread
Choose a whole-grain bread for this recipe.
It’s a good source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Whole grains may help lower cholesterol levels, improve blood sugar control, and reduce the risk of chronic disease.
In addition, whole grain bread is also more filling than refined grain bread, which can help with maintaining a healthy weight.
Greek yogurt is a good source of protein, calcium, vitamin B12, and probiotics. It is also relatively low in calories and fat.
Greek yogurt offers several health benefits including weight management.
Researchers found in a 2020 study of over 65,000 children and adults that yogurt consumption was associated with lower body mass index (BMI) and body weight.
Often hailed as a superfood, blueberries offer numerous health benefits.
Blueberries have been shown to improve memory and executive function, which tend to deteriorate with age.
An additional study has demonstrated blueberries’ benefits in children. And, the improvements weren’t seen after 12 weeks of eating berries, but within hours of just a single meal with blueberries.
I use frozen blueberries for this recipe. You can use fresh berries.
Chia seeds pack fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids.
They provide a crunch, along with sustained energy, making them a nutritious addition to a balanced breakfast.
I like these chia seeds from Amazon.
Blueberry Toast Variations
Below are some additional ways to enjoy blueberry toast:
- Lemon Zest: Add 1 teaspoon of lemon zest to the yogurt before spreading it on the toast.
- Ricotta Cheese: Instead of yogurt, spread ricotta cheese on the toast
- Vegan Yogurt Toast: Substitute the Greek yogurt with coconut or soy yogurt as a dairy-free alternative.
- Fruit: Vary fresh fruits like strawberries, raspberries, or sliced bananas.
- Bread: Experiment with different types of bread such as whole-grain, sourdough, or gluten-free options.
- Nuts and Seeds: Top your toast with sliced almonds, pistachios, pecans, sunflower seeds, or flax seeds.
Interested in more unique breakfast options? Check out The Best Proats Recipes to Start Your Day with 5 overnight oat recipes!
Hungry for More?
Check out more healthy recipes in the Age-Defying Dietitian’s Healthy Aging Recipes section of the blog.
Get our latest content delivered directly to your inbox by signing up for our Nutrition for Healthy Aging Newsletter!
*Please note this blog post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Kathryn is a Registered Dietitian and a National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach. She is also certified through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Weight Management. She has 20+ years of nutrition experience working in a variety of healthcare settings. Her passion is to provide evidence-based nutrition information that supports vitality and longevity!