Nutricosmetics are a category of beauty products that combine nutrition and cosmetics.
Some predict this fusion is the future of the beauty industry!
Read on to learn more about this holistic beauty-from-within approach.
What are Nutricosmetics?
Nutricosmetics are products and ingredients that act as nutritional supplements to care for skin, nails, and hair’s natural beauty.
They differ from traditional cosmetic products in that they are taken orally.
Beauty from Within
A current trend in the beauty industry is “Skinmalism“. This is a take on minimalism and refers to using fewer products to promote healthy skin.
There seems to be less of a focus on hiding flaws and more on enhancing a person’s natural beauty.
This is where nutricosmetics are gaining a lot of traction! These products offer a way to care for the skin from the inside out.
How do they work?
Nutrticosmetics work by supplementing your body with the nutrients it needs to support skin, hair, and nail health.
They are formulated with ingredients like protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
There is sufficient evidence demonstrating the effectiveness of high-quality supplements on your skin, hair, and nails.
- Improved skin health
- Hair growth & health
- Nail growth & health
Common Nutrients in Nutricosmetics
Below are nutrients typically found in nutricosmetics.
- Collagen – a protein that improves skin elasticity and structure. A decline in collagen with aging contributes to wrinkles and fine lines.
- Omega 3 fatty acids – healthy fats that reduce inflammation and promote hydration.
- Vitamin C – is essential for collagen production, it allows collagen to support healthy hair, skin, and nails.
- Biotin – is a B vitamin that you will see in most products advertised to improve skin, hair, and nails. This is related to the symptoms of biotin deficiency. Currently, there is no scientific evidence to show that biotin improves the appearance of skin, hair, or nails. However, there is a strong consumer belief in its benefits for hair and nails, and there is no harm in trying it.
- Zinc – is an essential mineral for skin, hair, and nail health. It increases wound healing and plays a major role in the synthesis of collagen.
- Vitamin E – contains antioxidant properties that protect your skin from free radicals.
How to Add Nutricosmetics to Your Wellness Routine
If you’re interested in a new way to improve the health and appearance of your skin, hair, and nails, nutricosmetics may be right for you!
You can take these beauty supplements in various forms including –
What to look for when purchasing a nutricosmetic?
- Choose a reputable brand: Look for a well-known and trusted brand with a reputation for quality and safety.
- Look for third-party certifications such as NSF International, USP, or ConsumerLab.com. These organizations test products for quality, safety, and potency.
- Consider the form of nutricosmetic that is most convenient for you. Supplements only work if you consistently take them. Choose the option that is easiest for you to incorporate into your wellness routine.
- Research ingredients and talk to your healthcare provider as needed.
Overall nutricosmetics are a safe way to improve the health and appearance of hair, skin, and nails. Below are potential safety concerns.
- Allergic reactions – some ingredients in these dietary supplements may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. For instance, those who are allergic to shellfish may need to avoid products with marine collagen.
- Medication interactions – nutricosmetics can interact with certain medications such as blood thinners and antibiotics.
- Excessive vitamins and minerals – some products may contain high levels of ingredients that can be harmful in excess. Follow the recommended dosage.
Always consult with your healthcare provider prior to adding a dietary supplement to your wellness routine.
Takeaways on Nutricosmetics
Nutricosmetics are products that act as nutritional supplements to care for skin, nails, and hair’s natural beauty.
They work by supplementing your body with the nutrients it needs to support skin, hair, and nail health.
Common ingredients include collagen, vitamins, and minerals.
Talk to your healthcare professional prior to adding any dietary supplements into your wellness routine!
*Please note this blog post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Hungry for more information on beauty nutrition?
Interested in more content on foods that benefit your skin?
Check out the Age-Defying Dietitian’s Skin & Beauty Nutrition section of the blog!
Sign up for our Nutrition for Healthy Aging Newsletter to get our latest content delivered directly to your inbox!
Kathryn is a Registered Dietitian and a National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach. She is also Certified through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Weight Management.