Discover the benefits of collagen tea and how you can make this nutritious beverage at home.
From glowing skin to joint health, collagen tea is another tool in pursuing healthy aging!
What is Collagen Tea?
Collagen tea is infused with collagen, the main building block for your bones, skin, hair, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
It is made by adding collagen powder or a collagen tea bag to hot water. You then seep it for a few minutes.
It can be enjoyed hot or cold and can be flavored or sweetened according to your taste. The result is a nutritious and flavorful beverage with all the benefits of collagen.
Collagen tea is a convenient way to add this beneficial protein to your wellness routine!
Below are some of the benefits of incorporating collagen into your daily wellness routine:
- Glowing Skin: Chances are you associate collagen with healthy skin. Collagen helps improve skin elasticity and firmness. It may also reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Joint Health: Collagen makes up a large part of our joints’ cartilage, providing cushioning. We make less collagen as we age which increases the incidence of joint pain, stiffness, and movement. Collagen tea can promote collagen production in the body. This in turn may reduce these hallmarks of aging.
- Strong Bones: Our bone matrix contains a significant amount of collagen. It provides strength and structure to our bones. Supplemental collagen may increase bone density and decrease the risk of fractures.
- Gut Health: Collagen helps strengthen the lining of the gut. This prevents the gut from inflammation. In addition, collagen stimulates the growth of good bacteria in our gut which promotes immunity and healthy digestion.
- Muscle Mass & Strength: Collagen provides structural support to our muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Therefore, it can be helpful in injury prevention and recovery. In addition, collagen provides specific amino acids that promote muscle growth and improve inflammation.
In addition to collagen, tea contains antioxidants that reduce inflammation and may aid in the prevention of some chronic diseases.
Evidence for Collagen
There is promising research on the benefits of collagen supplements.
A 2021 grouped analysis of studies showed favorable results of hydrolyzed collagen supplementation compared with placebo in terms of improved skin hydration, elasticity, and wrinkles.
A Review of the Effects of Collagen Treatment in Clinical Studies in 2021, deemed Collagen as one of the most important supplements for aging people.
You can learn more about the benefits of collagen in this previous Age-Defying Dietitian blog post, “Marine Collagen vs Bovine Collagen – Which One is Right for You?”.
Collagen is also showing promise in menopause. You can learn more by reading this post – “Collagen and Menopause: Is it Helpful?“.
Collagen Tea Products
Convenience plays a role in making positive health changes. A collagen supplement only works if you consistently take it!
Below are some recommended options:
Vital Proteins Honey Chamomile Collagen Tea
Combine 2 scoops of this Vital Proteins supplement with 8 ounces of hot water. Insert tea bag and enjoy!
Collagen Sparkling Tea by SKINTE
SKINTE is made with collagen peptides, real brewed tea, super herbs, and fizz.
This sparkling ready-to-drink tea comes in a variety of flavors including green tea grapefruit, peach mango, and lemon-lime.
How to Make Collagen Tea at Home
- Brew your Tea in your usual fashion.
- Measure a serving of collagen protein, usually about 20 grams.
- Stir the powder into your tea until it’s fully dissolved.
In conclusion, collagen is an essential protein that supports our skin, joints, gut, and muscles.
Collagen tea is a nutritious drink that offers a range of health benefits from glowing skin to joint health.
It’s a convenient way to add this beneficial protein to your wellness routine!
Hungry for more information on healthy aging?
Check out the Age-Defying Dietitian’s blog for the latest content on all things healthy aging!
Sign up for our Nutrition for Healthy Aging Newsletter to get our latest content delivered directly to your inbox!
*Please note this blog post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Kathryn is a Registered Dietitian and a National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach. She is also certified through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Weight Management. She has 20+ years of nutrition experience working in a variety of healthcare settings. Her passion is to provide evidence-based nutrition information that supports vitality and longevity!