A cacao latte combines the rich flavors of chocolate and coffee with the creamy goodness of milk.
Whether you’re a seasoned coffee drinker or simply curious about trying something new, you’ll love this luxurious treat!
What is a Cacao Latte?
This tasty treat consists of cacao powder, milk, strong-brewed coffee, and sweetener, crafted into a hot beverage.
Cacao powder is a healthy alternative to cocoa powder.
It is less processed and contains more nutrients than cocoa powder.
Cacao powder is also lower in sugar and fat, making it a healthier choice.
You can make cacao lattes with any type of milk, including cow’s milk, almond milk, oat milk, and soy milk.
They can also be sweetened with any type of sweetener, such as sugar, honey, maple syrup, or even an artificial sweetener like Splenda.
Cacao Latte Recipe
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 whisk
- 1 Milk frother optional
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp sweetener of your choice Optional
- 1-2 shots espresso or strong brewed coffee
Prepare the Cacao Mix
- In a small bowl, combine the unsweetened cocoa powder and sweetener of your choice.
- Add the hot water to the bowl and whisk the ingredients until you have a smooth, well-combined mixture. Set aside.
Brew Espresso or Coffee
- Brew one or two shots of espresso or make strong coffee using your preferred method. Set aside.
Heat the Milk
- In a saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it's hot but not boiling. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent scorching. For frothy milk, you can use a milk frother or vigorously whisk the milk until it becomes frothy and doubles in volume.
Combine and Serve
- Pour the brewed espresso or coffee into your favorite mug.
- Add the prepared cacao mix to the coffee and stir well until it's thoroughly combined.
- Slowly pour the hot frothy milk into the mug, holding back the foam with a spoon to let the liquid in first.
- Give it a gentle stir to blend the flavors, and there you have it—a luscious cacao latte ready to be enjoyed!
Additional Tips for Your Cacao Latte
- Adjust the sweetness: Depending on your preference, you can adjust the amount of sweetener.
- Experiment with milk: Explore different milk options to find your favorite. Each type of milk will impart a slightly different flavor and texture to your latte.
- Add spices: Enhance the flavor by adding a pinch of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or a dash of vanilla extract to the cacao mix.
Cacao Latte Recipe Variations
Below are ways to add a little pizazz to this traditional recipe:
- Golden cacao latte: Add 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric for a golden version. Turmeric is a spice with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Peppermint cacao latte: Add 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract for a peppermint twist.
- Cold cacao latte: To make it cold, simply chill the brewed coffee or espresso and milk, then combine it with the cacao mix. Pour over ice.
Health Benefits of Cacao
Below are cacao’s nutrients and their potential health benefits:
- Antioxidants: Cacao is a rich source of flavonoids, which protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation. These compounds may improve heart health and cognitive function.
- Fiber: Cacao is a good source of dietary fiber, which maintains digestive health and regulates blood sugar.
- Healthy Fats: The healthy fats found in cacao promote satiety, support heart health, and hydrate the skin.
- Minerals: The iron, magnesium, copper, and manganese in cacao are essential for body processes, such as oxygen transport, energy production, and bone health.
- Mood-boosting compounds: Cacao contains compounds such as theobromine and phenethylamine. These compounds may have mood-boosting effects.
Interested in another chocolatey, healthy treat? Check out this Age-Defying Dietitian recipe “How To Make Date Snickers“.
Cacao’s Anti-Aging Benefits
Caco may protect the skin from damage, reduce signs of aging, and promote a healthy, glowing complexion.
You can learn more about the anti-aging benefits of cacao in this Age-Defying Dietitian blog post – “Cacao Benefits for Skin: The Role of Chocolate in Anti-Aging“.
Recommended Cacao Powders
Cacao is a superfood that brings together the sweetness and health benefits of chocolate.
Below are some recommended powders you can use in the above recipe.
I love making my cacao latte at home! It’s a nice way to relax and de-stress. It’s also convenient and affordable.
Enjoy your delightful cacao latte! It’s perfect for cozy mornings or a little afternoon pick-me-up.
Cheers to indulgence and the joy of homemade gourmet coffee!
Hungry for more?
Interested in other recipes?
Check out our Healthy Aging Recipes section of the blog!
Subscribe to our Nutrition for Healthy Aging Newsletter and receive our latest content directly in your inbox!
*Please note this blog post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Kathryn is a Registered Dietitian and a National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach. She is also certified through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Weight Management. She has 20+ years of nutrition experience working in a variety of healthcare settings. Her passion is to provide evidence-based nutrition information that supports vitality and longevity!